Tuesday, April 9, 2013

What Makes an Artist?

I struggle with the idea of what makes an artist, and if I can consider myself one.  This morning, Dave shared a website photo with me that helped me decide that anyone of us can be an artist.  It's all about self expression!

Caddisfly larvae construct their own protective home with whatever materials they have at hand in the water. I watch them annually in our brook at camp and am always fascinated by their ability to disguise themselves as what usually looks like a piece of twig floating on the bottom of the stream.

This French Artist, Hubert Duprat, had the brilliant idea of supplying the caddisfly with some unusual materials. Tiny beads and gold flecks were given to the insects who then constructed these gorgeous homes for themselves.  What gorgeous beads these would make for jewelry! Once the larvae have vacated their home of course!

Hubert Duprat's exquisite caddisfly


A Caddisfly from Kidder Brook in Concord, Maine

1 comment: