Monday, June 3, 2013

Easy DIY Flower Vase

I've had this tradition at camp for years of picking wildflowers for the table when we are up for more than a day or two.  My container of choice is whatever is on hand and most of the time it ends up being something like an old coffee can. So when I found this DIY idea on Pinterest I just had to try it.  It was so easy and turned out kind of cute so I thought I would share it with all of you.  It's just about the easiest thing to do, and I'm all about easy, so here goes.

You'll need:
clear glass container to use as your vase. I used an old jar.
ModPodge craft glue
food coloring
paint brush
Water to clean up

  • Mix some ModPodge with your favorite color of food coloring or create your own custom color. I used a little more than I needed but if you mix it in a container that has a tight fitting lid it will last a while in case you want to do more than one.
  • Brush a thin even coat on the entire container. Let dry thoroughly between coats and add as many coats as needed to get the desired depth of color.  I did about 7-8 coats to get the color I wanted. I added a piece of twine for a little embellishment.
  • Voila! You have a nicely colored glass vase for your flowers.
NOTE: This is not waterproof so don''t submerge in water.  

It was early in the season when I brought my vase to camp so I opted for a few larch cone stems to fill in until the summer flowers arrive. What do you think?



The new ModPodge vase with larch cone stems





No comments:

Post a Comment